“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt
Yesterday, I appeared on an Instagram live for She Knows to speak about staying motivated while working and parenting from home. It was a good chance to summarize the stalwarts of my daily routine during this time, which I’ll share with you here.
The most important thing we can do right now is to establish a new routine. Routines are essential for making the world feel safe and predictable, especially during anxiety-inducing times. Here are tips for your new routine:
1. Sleep: Go to be and wake up around the same time each day. Sleeping is a keystone habit for wellness.
2. Grooming: Maintain a sense of normalcy by daily grooming: showering, teeth brushing, hair brushing, and anything else you do on a daily basis.
3. Movement: Move your body every day, even if you are indoors. There is a direct link between moving your body and boosted mental health.
4. Distinguish Days: Distinguish work days from weekend days and work space from personal space. Cross days off on a calendar. Doing all of this will help stave off the feeling that days are all the same and blending into each other.
5. Diet: What you consume will have a direct impact on your mood and sense of wellbeing.
6. Express Love and Kindness: Trying to contribute in any way you can during this time will help you feel connected to something greater than yourself and lift your mood.
What is essential for your daily routine under quarantine? Drop me a line and let me know.